Some articles on the blog contain affiliate links, which provide a small commission to help fund the blog. However, they won’t affect the price you pay or the blog’s independence. Read more here.
No one wants to be the clingy girlfriend. You know the type, always needing to know where your man is, what he’s doing, and who he’s with. Constantly calling or texting him, even when you know he’s busy. Showing up unannounced. Getting jealous when he talks to other women.
While it’s normal to feel some jealousy and insecurity in a relationship, if you find yourself constantly needing reassurance from your man or checking up on him, it’s time to take a step back and re-evaluate your relationship with these 9 tips on how to stop being a clingy girlfriend. (Bonus: before you leave this page, make sure you read the 10 sure signs of a clingy girlfriend and see if you are guilty of any of them)
Here are 9 Tips on How to Stop Being a Clingy Girlfriend
Communicate openly with your partner about your feelings
If you’re feeling insecure or jealous, talk to your partner about it. They can’t read your mind, so it’s important to communicate openly and honestly with them about how you’re feeling. If you don’t feel like you can talk to your partner about your feelings, that’s a red flag that something is wrong in the relationship and should be addressed.
Trust your partner
One of the most important aspects of any relationship is trust. If you don’t trust your partner, you’re going to find yourself constantly needing reassurance from them, which is going to make them feel suffocated. If you want to stop being a clingy girlfriend, start by building trust in the relationship.
Give your partner space and independence
One of the main reasons why women become clingy is because they feel like they need to be with their partner all the time to feel secure in the relationship. But that’s not healthy for either of you. Everyone needs their own space and independence, so give your partner some time apart from you each week to do their own thing. This will help them feel more connected to you when they are with you because they’ll appreciate the time more.
Don’t try to control your partner or the relationship
If you’re constantly trying to control what your partner does or where they go, it’s only going to create tension in the relationship. Instead of trying to control them, focus on controlling yourself and let them live their life as they see fit. If they’re happy, chances are you will be too.
Don’t check up on him all the time
If you’re constantly calling or texting him to see what he’s up to, you’re going to drive him crazy. Not to mention, it’s a little bit creepy. Trust that he’s doing what he says he’s doing and don’t check up on him all the time.
Work on building up your self-confidence and self-esteem
A lot of times, women become clingy because they lack self-confidence and have low self-esteem. If this is something you struggle with, start working on building up your confidence by taking care of yourself , setting goals , and surround yourself with positive people . The more confident you are, the less needy you’ll be in a relationship.
Don’t be afraid of a little jealousy
A little jealousy can be healthy for a relationship. It shows that you care about him and don’t want anyone else taking away your time with him. Just don’t let it get out of control or take over your thoughts or actions.
Seek out hobbies and interests outside of the relationship
It’s important that you have hobbies and interests outside of the relationship. This gives you something else to focus on besides your partner and makes you a more well – rounded person. When you have other things going on in your life, you’re less likely to be focused on whether your man is with another woman or what he’s doing every minute of the day.
Make sure you have a life outside of the relationship
Just like it’s important that have hobbies outside of the relationship, it’s also crucial that maintain friendships and social activities outside of the relationship as well. Spending all day, every day with your partner can lead to co-dependency, which is not healthy for either of you.
To finish off with, as promised here is list of 10 sure signs of a clingy girlfriend, if you catch yourself doing any of these you may want to address them using the tips discussed above.
1. Clingy girlfriends tend to be really jealous. If you’re always wondering where your man is, who he’s with, and what he’s doing, then you’re going to drive him away. If you can’t trust him, then why are you with him?
2. Clingy girlfriends are always texting or calling their man. If you’re always blowing up his phone, he’s going to get sick of it. Give him some space and let him come to you.
3. Clingy girlfriends always want to know where their man is. If you’re constantly asking him where he is and what he’s doing, then he’s going to start getting annoyed. Again, give him some space and let him come to you.
4. Clingy girlfriends tend to be needy. If you’re always needing your man’s attention and approval, then he’s going to start getting annoyed. Learn to love yourself and be independent.
5. Clingy girlfriends are always trying to control their man. If you’re always telling your man what to do, where to go, and who to talk to, then he’s going to start feeling suffocated. Let him live his life and trust that he’ll make the right decisions.
6. Clingy girlfriends are always jealous of other women. If you can’t stand the thought of your man talking to another woman, then you’re going to have a problem. Trust that he loves you and that he won’t cheat on you.
7. Clingy girlfriends are always accusing their man of cheating. If you’re constantly accusing your man of cheating, even when there’s no evidence, then you’re going to push him away. Learn to trust your man and give him the benefit of the doubt.
8. Clingy girlfriends are always demanding their man’s time and attention. If you’re always wanting your man to spend all his time with you, then he’s going to start feeling suffocated. Let him have some time for himself and pursue his own interests outside of the relationship.
9. Clingy girlfriends are always trying to change their man. If you’re constantly trying to change your man into someone else, then you’re not accepting him for who he is. Learn to love your man for who he is and accept him flaws and all.
10. Clingy girlfriends are always over-reacting to everything. If something doesn’t go your way, you’ll immediately start attacking your man. Learn to take things slow and have patience.
If you’re a clingy girlfriend, it’s time to start changing your ways. These 9 tips will help you learn how to stop being a clingy girlfriend and so possessive and controlling and start enjoying your relationship instead.